Monday, February 13, 2012

Old Friends for Sale

It just dawned on me that I haven't done this:

Below are links to all my available short stories/novellas/perversions online. Typically I would never comment on a short story, but for this blog I don't see any reason not to...

Corduroy
This is an attempt at Flash Fiction. Since I can't tell nice, happy stories - I threw a guy in the trunk of a car and made it into a religious hate-crime in 900 words or less.

Old Rosa's (Home For Weary Travelers)
This one was originally written for a different magazine - I changed my mind when Dew on the Kudzu liked it! Originally titled ORHFWT, this was shortened for aesthetics and features my home town, a crushed velvet suit (of course), blood-thirsty rage and - a crazy old lady with a pet opossum named Cartier.

Up The Gump Stump
Now we're talkin' - this is a prime example of what I love to write. I originally included this in a highly abbreviated form in a larger short story no one will ever see entitled "Triptych" where I took 3 different cultures, read up on their typical folk tales and legends - then made my own. The three were all short, snippet stories - but UTGS always nagged at me. It wanted me to come back and fix it - bring it to life...so with the addition of nearly 4,500 more words - the delightful story of Merriweather McCluck and Mr. Dog came to life - in full force. This is one of my all-time favorites just because it's so quirky - and I like her snarky attitude.

***Coming Soons***

"Trestlewood Estates" - has been accepted and should be included in a print anthology this coming Summer/Fall. Once I have the date - I'll announce the location. Don't want to be hexing myself...

"Gardenia Blossoms" - my one true attempt at a love story is due to appear in the Spring 2012 edition of Deep South Magazine. No idea the actual date, but once I know something - you will too.

Other Friends for Sale

Earth Angel: A Novella
So now you know - it isn't just the short stories I love, I also do novellas from time to time. I picked this one from the four I have ready-to-go. I'm not sure why other than I really love the little girl in this. The seed/idea that started this whole 60 page, chaotic maelstrom was that I imagined being in such a vile, repulsive, horrifying situation - but being so damaged that ... it wasn't horrible at all.
As most know, I love finding beauty in trash and this was just another attempt to make something incredibly unpleasant - pleasant.

The Two O'Clock
This is one of my personal favorites - for a variety of reasons. First, it's set in a location that's seared into my memory. Secondly, it's a line by line retelling of a teensy piece of Dante's Inferno. Third - it's a pretty decent story.

Pale Yellow
This is probably the oldest thing available at the present time. I first wrote PY about 6 years ago, in a much different version. I did some braiding and twisting, teased and combed and ended up with this version available now. I cannot explain why so many people have downloaded this one, I did not see that coming. It's a pleasant surprise to learn that my sick fans also enjoy long, drawn-out scenes of torture, angst and discomfort centered around little old ladies. Shame on all of us for liking this!

Lucky Bedelia
This is the next oldest friend for sale - Bedelia is about 4 years old and has been highly fluffed as well. I had no expectations when I first wrote this. It wasn't meant for sharing but one of many stories I write just to "get the stink out."
My intention here was to take an ordinary young woman - common in every way, and tear her apart limb-by-limb through a series of ridiculous accidents. I think I nailed it. The only thing I did leave out of the version available here is that the original had a slightly altered ending whereby I set the building on fire and let Bedelia burn - but on the last reading, by the time I got to the glass-busting finale, I felt like she'd suffered enough. Bedelia is the opposite of lucky.

What's Coming?

A new novella - something freshtacular...it will be out by the end of February 2012 and should be cherished by one and all. I have tried painfully to get a little bit of everything into this surreal, sci-fi/fantasy adventure...and if it wasn't so damn funny, I could probably edit it a lot faster.
I've been very vague with my hints but the gist is that it's a story about love. The protagonist is unlike anything that's been penned before - and the setting ("Mattropolis") should send most people shivering into their showers. Again - I am hoping to make the cringe-worthy...spectacular.

Speaking of edits...lemme get on that now...

xoww

No comments:

Post a Comment