Sunday, April 7, 2013

Unappreciated: Lars von Trier

Lars von Trier
 
The things this man does amaze me. The reputation he's earned makes me love him. Supposedly an asshole of the highest caliber - while also agoraphobic, claustrophobic, travelphobic and phobicphobic - just make me like him even more. Lars von Trier is one of the few auteurs still actively working in the 21st century. His movies reek elegance, sophistication and filth. Each movie is completely new and different from anything else you've seen while somehow all containing that signature stamp that only a LVT film can deliver.



I first discovered Lars von Trier on VHS back in the 80s. Europa confused, baffled and amazed me and led me to dig up more obscure titles. I've seen it all and while each film is a very exemplary type of moviegoing experience - I found that certain of his titles became the ones I bonded with like dear old family friends.

He's a big fan of trilogies - most of his movies can be grouped with two others of similar theme. I like that. It also encourages those of us who compulsively hunt down movies to go slowly insane if certain titles are only available in say - Denmark. Oh well, no one said this was easy.

My top five least-dusty Lars von Trier films are played out in this order:

5) "EUROPA" (1991): This was von Trier's third feature length film and the conclusion of his Europa trilogy (The Element of Crime and Epidemic composing the other two portions), this is my favorite of the three. It opens with a (literally now, watch yourselves) hypnotic train ride visuals and suddenly you're whirled backward to a smoke filled conspiracy riddled nightmare. The best parts of this film are the rear projection, voice overs and general atmosphere of this characters experience in such a surreal (yet oddly familiar) WWII scenario. This movie (like most by von Trier, I suspect) is not for everyone. It's highly experimental and takes a bit of open-mindedness to enjoy. Repeat viewing help a lot here. This is the director as he first found his voice and prepared for the next three-film-installment.


4) "MANDERLAY" (2005): This is the second part of the USA - Land of Opportunities trilogy. I like to subtitle this one The Return of Grace, because as a character - I kinda love this one. Debuting at Cannes, this film is considered a "box office bomb" by only earning around $600k - it cost $14 million to make. It doesn't matter because it's art. The familiarity of the sparse stage that we first saw in Dogville is back - only this time the setting isn't a town but a plantation. The commentary about racism, the language, the script - is going to be found offensive by a lot of people ... but that's part of the appeal of the director's work. He's usually pretty graphic. The cast - is freaking stellar. Bryce Dallas Howard is Grace. Willem Dafoe, Danny Glover, Chloe Sevigny and (mfkin) Lauren Bacall are in this thang! I love the black box feel of this. It's so play-like, I'm surprised no one has attempted this on Broadway. The third installment of this trilogy has yet to happen. Ahem, Mr. von Trier...what's that about? I've been waiting a while now yanno...



3) "DOGVILLE" (2003): The first slice of the black box feel came with Nicole Kidman in Dogville. This one kind of blew people's minds because of the empty stage, no props, white lines on the floor - forcing the viewer to use his/her imagination, subconsciously slipping you into the story and involving you like only a master director could. I love Dogville. I love the plot, I love the cast, I love everything about this movie. It's an amazing experience that you succumb to and ride along with, and if you don't - you have to get out of my house before I knock you in the nostrils. John Hurt, Udo Kier, Lauren Bacall (boom!), Chloe Sevigny, James Caan and Stellan Skarsgard are just a few of the actors that deliver this breathtaking film all up in your eye meat. There is no other film like Dogville (besides Manderlay of course), so you should see it for that reason only. If you like plays, weird freaky endings, sketchy politically incorrect content or bizarre experimental deliveries - this film is your cup of urine. Now tie an anchor to your leg and hobble to me so we can talk about...



2) "BREAKING THE WAVES" (1996): This is what broke my von Trier 'cherry,' so to speak. The tale of Beth and Jan. Those chapter breaks. The music. The weird-ass plot. The picturesque setting that looked like real live Doby Gillis land ... I just instantly adored this movie. It was so completely unique that I had to own it - and I have ever since 1996. Winner of the Grand Jury Prize at Cannes, the tale of Bess going nutty is something you have to behold to appreciate fully. The subtle grace of Emily Watson's performance is still (to me) her finest accomplishment as an actor. I hope she can top this one day - and every film she appears in, I'll see in the hopes that she can outdo Bess ... but it remains to be seen. Like all the director's work, this is the first installment in the Golden Heart trilogy. The Idiots (pretty hard to find) and Dancer in the Dark comprise the final two sections of this thematic saga. I would really encourage you to check this out. It's just such a beautiful film you hardly even notice the weird, disturbing, kinky stuff going on under the covers. Just turn away and it won't hurt as much...




1) "DANCER IN THE DARK" (2000): The final portion of The Golden Hearts trilogy, Dancer in the Dark will get me scorned by many. Most people think Bjork ruined this film - but I think she was flawless for a person who was not an actor. The score, the soundtrack (which she composed) and the overall story of this movie is absolute perfection. You are so emotionally drained by the end of this - it's like putting a pet to sleep. The synopsis alone is heartwrenching. You can't even summarize this without making people feel sad - IT'S JUST THAT GREAT!!! Besides Bjork's original music, one of the features that make this such an amazing film is that during each of the musical numbers - von Trier used 100 cameras all running simultaneously. The experience of watching a scene play out from 100 different angles is ... just astounding. He really outdid himself with this. His more recent films haven't had the graphic gut-punch that this one delivers in its final moments. I'm not even sure it's safe for mankind to try and top this - it might lead to outbreaks of suicides and depression. Bjork, Catherine Deneuve and von Trier. See this now.





No comments:

Post a Comment