Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Dirty South

This all started because I kept being haunted by the image of a little black girl struggling her way through an endless field of mud. You know the type that's so deep it's exhausting? A mile of that.

She wouldn't leave me alone. I kept seeing little tired hands struggling to pull the next leg free only to take another step. And then one afternoon I wrote it down...and this happened.

Her name came easily - Miracle.

As soon as I had her out of that horrible field and standing on a small county road - I realized where this was leading. Enter: Ruby-Lee Braswell.

The two girls represent two different cultures, during the years shortly after the Civil War. I set it on the same exact road featured in The Two O'Clock as well as the closing scenes of Earth Angel. I believe anyone familiar with those two stories will recognize this strip of land.

The story takes a turn for the spooky and honestly...I had nothing to do with that. By that point, I - like you, was just along for the ride. I'm apologizing in advance.

I look forward to introducing you guys to all these new friends I've planted in Edgeboro County.

Ruby-Lee Braswell: 12 year old daughter of a former land owner who now lives a life of leisure on Johnston Street. The house with the green shutters. You know the one.

Miracle Henry: 12 year old former slave who's finally old enough to leave home according to her parents to "make her own way in the world"wastes no time hitting the road as soon as the candles on her birthday cake were blown out.

Captain R.L. Bascombe: owner of Four Oaks plantation, survivor of the war who paid a great cost.

You can check out the little teaser/trailer do-hickie here!!!

Only a few more days and this should be showing up for Kindle.

I can't wait to hear from all you guys about these new adventures. It'll be a hoot and a half. Until then, keep reading Sweet Peaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment